We are currently seeking an experienced Purchasing Manager to direct all activities and staff in the purchasing department, and effectively manage vendor relations, pricing, negotiation, and inventory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate with vendors for the purchase of raw materials, electronic and mechanical components, warehouse materials and supplies, both domestic and overseas. Analyze market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability, and prepare market analysis reports.
- Develop and manage vendor relationships, perform ongoing evaluation of supplier reliability, and develop alternate sources. Implement operating procedures concerning processing of purchase requisition/orders, control of price, quality and delivery requirements. Establish and maintain procurement policies which ensure timely delivery of goods, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Provide input and work closely with Materials/Production Planning. Review and analyze MRP reports and data. Implement supply chain process improvement and inventory reduction programs.
- Interface with the sales/marketing department with issues such as forecasting new business, slow moving product, obsolete inventory, and changes in customer buying patterns.
- Act as liaison between engineering and outside vendors, informing vendor of design changes, obtain new pricing, and arrange for first article delivery and first production run delivery.
- Assign procurement requests, engineering releases, change and stop orders to the appropriate personnel. Prepare, issue and approve purchase orders and change notices; review purchase order requests and contracts for accuracy and conformance to company policy.
- Prepare employee work schedules, delegate and oversee work assignments; evaluate work for accuracy, timeliness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Forecast departmental operating costs and be responsible for the preparation and direction of the department budget.
Education/Experience: BA or equivalent degree from four-year college or technical school preferred; and minimum 5 years inventory, purchasing and material planning experience in a manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to read and understand blueprints and Bills of Material. Excellent leadership, communication (verbal and written), organizational, and problem solving skills. Skill at negotiating purchasing agreements and contracts, and strong record of initiating cost savings.
Computer/Equipment Skills: Must be able to operate a PC and all office equipment, be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet navigation, windows based software programs (Macola preferred), MRP software, and Crystal Reports.
Certificates and Licenses: CPM or APICS certification preferred but not required, Six Sigma Knowledge a plus