Derringer Tuner, with iDash DataMonster for 2017-2019 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L Duramax, L5P
Derringer Tunerwith iDash® DataMonsterfor 2017-2019 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L Duramax, L5P
Adds up to 61 hp, 112 lb-ft
6 power levels adjustable on-the-fly. Interfaces with OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) to communicate with the vehicle's ECM. AutoRate uses vehicle data to adjust tune in real-time. ActiveSafety protects engine/powertrain. TransCommand protects transmission. Monitor engine and trans functions and control Derringer with iDash DataMonster. Log up to 100 parameters for hundreds of hours.
CARB E.O. D-161-120
What will iDash display?
— 2017-19 Chevrolet/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L
Note: When running multiple iDash together, purchase 1 Primary and 2-3 Expansion gauges.
Results in torque and power gains across the full operating rpm range, starting right off idle and marching to the shift point in each gear. Derringer is dyno calibrated to use multiple data inputs such as throttle position, rpm, vehicle speed, AFR, knock, coolant temperature, and EGT, just like your engine's ECM. It actively and safely optimizes calibrations in real-time thanks to its OBD-II connectivity. No competitive tuner does that.
Derringer has 6 levels, adjustable on-the-fly using the iDash. Level 6 produces best-in-class performance. Level 3 is designed for work use and has a great mid-range feel. When running Level 3 with a loaded truck and/or pulling a trailer, your on-ramp merging speeds and passing times are greatly improved.
The electronics are enclosed in a compact housing which is easily concealed and communicates with other Banks devices such as our iDash DataMonster, iDash SuperGauge, and PedalMonster throttle booster. The Derringer connects in line with your truck's engine sensors. But unlike other tuners, it also connects to the vehicle's OBD-II diagnostic bus.
ActiveSafety health monitoring circuitry keeps an eye on the vehicle and the module itself. It checks its health 100 times a second. If it detects an issue, the Derringer instantly bypasses itself, sets a device diagnostic code, and seamlessly returns the truck to stock power. Plus, Derringer's special coolant temp monitoring prevents power addition when the engine is too cold or overheated. The Derringer also auto-adjusts power if knock occurs due to bad fuel. Maximum safe power is all automatic with a Derringer — you just choose your preferred power level and enjoy the ride.
- Adds up to 61 hp and 112 lb-ft
- 6 power levels that can be changed on-the-fly via iDash. Each level adds approx 12 hp
- Altitude Compensation
- Simple plug-and-play installation with easy removal for dealer service
- Interfaces with OBD-II Port (On-Board Diagnostics) to communicate with vehicle's ECM
- Warranty friendly: no reflash required and no traces left in ECM
- Works while in cruise-control
- AutoRate tunes in realtime using vehicle diagnostics
- ActiveSafety Health Monitoring protects engine/powertrain
- Transcommand protects transmission
- iDash displays hundreds of temps, pressures, and speeds
- iDash displays dozens of patented parameters
- iDash displays 5 customizable pages of 2-8 gauges per page
- iDash displays DPF regen status, distance between regens, DEF level
- iDash logs up to 20 min/max values with customizable alerts
- iDash logs up to 100 parameters at 20hz
- Supplied SD card stores hundreds of hours of datalogs
- Data logs can be viewed right on the iDash or transferred to a computer for analysis
- iDash displays user-selectable alerts, examples: speed, coolant temp, trans slip
- Real-time bar graph displays Derringer's added power
- Update Derringer firmware, calibration through iDash using microSD card
Emissions Compliant: D-161-120
US Patent # 7,593,808 & # 7,254,477
Banks vs. the competition
The Derringer L5P tuner is the only option you should be plugging into your truck. The other guys claim big numbers but simply don't deliver! We tested every other tuner on the same dyno, same day, same weather conditions, and with the same technician. There’s only so much you can do by just intercepting the fuel rail pressure sensor. That’s where all the others fall short. The Derringer is the only tuner that actually utilizes your truck’s ECM to make intelligent calculations. Hundreds of man-hours went into Derringer's development and the results are nothing short of impressive.
NOTE: Dr. Performance and Stealth both use the same box.
Test Vehicle: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually 6.6L Duramax L5P. Factory intake and exhaust. All tests run on the same truck, same day, same conditions. Tested on Mustang DYNO, 10-second sweep.
AutoRate® Dynamic Tuning
Unlike the fixed tuning used by others, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) – The Derringer senses your engine’s EGT and intelligently modulates fueling to maintain a safe maximum EGT, protecting your turbo and engine.
- Altitude compensation – The Derringer senses ambient air pressure, controlling the turbocharger to maintain added boost and power as altitude increases.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen – The Derringer tuner constantly monitors your DPF regen status and will optimize its calibration to ensure the DPF regen process completes successfully.
- Accelerator Pedal Monitoring – The Derringer senses accelerator pedal position to roll in additional power progressively, optimizing part-throttle fuel economy and giving max power when you ask for it.
- Coolant Temperature Monitoring – The Derringer senses coolant temp to control added power. During warmup, no power is added below 120° F, then power is ramped in and fully available above 150° If the coolant overheats for any reason, the Derringer starts removing its power at 230° F, and additional power is totally removed if you exceed 240° F.
- Full Power Timer – The Derringer allows for 30 seconds of wide-open throttle before transitioning to the recommended power level for sustained tow/haul. (Our research has shown that your ECM when at full power will hit 1450° EGT and after a minute or so will pull out fuel to cool things down. So, we do the same thing.)
TransCommand® Active Transmission Safety System
In addition to AutoRate Adaptive Tuning, the Derringer utilizes key engine and transmission parameters to enhance shift performance and improve the longevity of your transmission. Because the competitors lack the essential OBD-II data, they always add power at wide-open throttle—no matter what! This can cause excessive transmission slip, torque converter clutch slip, and even 100+ HP engine derates in order for the transmission to complete the shift. This harms the overall performance and degrades your transmission. The Derringer is meticulously calibrated and extensively tested to properly modulate power during shifting, optimizing performance and safety.
- Intelligent Shift Tuning – The transmission shift request signal is monitored to optimize the power level prior to the shift protecting the transmission, increasing shift speed, and avoiding ECM power derates.
- Boost and Fuel by Gear – Gear based calibration allows for optimum traction and performance
- Torque Converter Clutch Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts to modulate TCC slip to safe levels.
- Transmission Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts calibration to modulate transmission slip to safe levels
ActiveSafety® Health Monitoring
The Derringer is the only tuner on the market to include ‘Active Safety’ health monitoring circuitry. This active failsafe system utilizes bypass relays to smoothly transition your vehicle to stock power levels in the event of any trouble signs in the Derringer. The system constantly monitors various parameters over 250 times a second to ensure that everything is operating as it should. If any competitive tuners lose power or fail in any way, they will instantly trigger a “limp home” mode where all power is lost and the vehicle dangerously slows to a crawl. If the same fault condition occurs to the Derringer it will gracefully remove its additional power and return to stock power levels without a hitch.
- Health Monitoring: Internal self-diagnostics checks the health of the system 250 times per second
- Monitors MAP and FRP signals for out of range condition (disconnected or short circuit)
- Active safety engages if 12-volt power is lost to the Derringer tuner
- Simple plug and play installation
- Warranty friendly: no reflash required and no traces left in ECM
- Enclosed in a compact housing which is easily concealed
- LED Derringer status indicator
Additional Features with iDash DataMonster or SuperGauge
- 6 power levels with on-the-fly, controlled by iDash
- Derringer screen for viewing added power in real-time
- Regen status displayed over power level when Regen is active
- Datalog up to 100 Derringer, engine, or transmission parameters to microSD card
- Update Derringer software and calibration through iDash
- Expand the system with other Banks Bus products
- AirMouse® Ambient Air Density Module
- 4-CH Analog Sensor Module*
- 4-CH Thermocouple Module*
Stock L5P Turbo Limits
The factory turbo is done at 505 flywheel hp, that’s a gain of 60 horsepower. Above that point, the turbine drive pressure increases dramatically as does EGT and no more boost is available to safely add horsepower. Anyone who claims to deliver more doesn’t understand this engine.
- Derringer connects to your OBD-II port. It sees the whole picture.
- After thousands of man-hours on the dyno and crunching data in the engineering office, we had the best gains – 61 hp and 112 lb-ft of torque.
- Derringer delivers 505 hp and 1001 ft-lb of torque! 60 hp and 91 ft-lb of torque at the flywheel over stock!
The Derringer L5P is the most sophisticated inline tuner available. We hope you have as much fun driving with it as we did making it.
- Banks Power
- Item Requires Shipping
- 4.0 lbs.
- W8.7500” x H4.0000” x L11.2500”
- Free Shipping!